Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Evolution of the Toe Guard

I started making toe guards for roller skates about a year ago. When I began skating with the Charlottesville Derby Dames, I almost immediately noticed that my new skates were suffering from some serious abuse. Until we located our current practice space, we were skating a couple of times a week at the local skate park. Needless to say, a couple of falls on asphalt did some pretty nasty damage to my skates.

I constructed a set of toe guards from leather, and they did the job of protecting my skates perfectly! Here are some of my older creations:




I have since made many improvements, and, at the same time, I think my sewing skills have become more polished. Here is a small sample of some toe guards I have recently made:





I am selling these in my etsy shop, and I have had quite a bit of success. Tool on over there if you could use a pair to protect your skates!

No comments:

Post a Comment